Skip to main content

Eye Emergencies

Eye injuries range from the very minor such as getting soap in your eye, to the catastrophic such as chemical exposures or lacerations, which could result in permanent loss of vision. Find out when to seek immediate medical care.

When to Seek Medical Care

In most cases, if you have continuing symptoms of pain, visual disturbance, or bleeding, you should go to an optometrist or ophthalmologist (a medical doctor who specializes in eye care and surgery).

In general, if you are not sure if you have a serious eye injury, call your optometrist for advice.

Calling your optometrist may be helpful in the following circumstances


Chemical exposures

If you are not sure if the exposure is potentially serious, you have washed out your eye, and you have few symptoms, then your optometrist may be able to help you decide whether or not you should be seen immediately.


Subconjunctival hemorrhage

If you are not sure that you have this condition, your eye doctor may be able to help with the diagnosis. This condition does not require immediate medical attention.


Continuing pain & decreased vision

After an eye injury can be warning signs that require prompt medical attention. If you have an eye care specialist, he or she may be able to take care of you in the office. Otherwise, go to a hospital's emergency department.

The following conditions should be seen promptly by an optometrist or at the emergency room

Chemical exposures

If the substance was known to be caustic, immediate medical evaluation by either an ophthalmologist or in the emergency department is needed, regardless of symptoms. Acids and alkalis are the worst and require immediate attention. If the substance is not dangerous, such as soap or suntan lotion, a visit to the emergency department is not necessary, but a visit to the ophthalmologist's office may be helpful to alleviate any remaining symptoms. When in doubt, seek medical attention.

Eye Infections

We are ready to look after ALL of your eye care needs in one location. In addition to the services you already rely on us for such as routine eye exams, contact lenses. designer frames and eyeglasses - think of your Optometrist first for:

  • sore, red, or itchy eyes
  • treatment of "pink eye" and other bacterial infections
  • removal of foreign bodies from the eye (such as wood or metal)
  • treatment of eye allergies or burns
  • emergency eye care

This is convenient and cost effective for your whole family and you can be sure you are receiving the attention of an eye care specialist.

Dr. Wong and Associates provides quality eye care services to the Danbury and Stamford, CT area.


Cuts that affect the eyelid margins (where the eyelashes are) or the eyeball itself need immediate medical attention. Foreign bodies that are not removed with gentle washing should be evaluated by an ophthalmologist.

Solar retinopathy

Evaluation by an ophthalmologist is necessary. This is one condition where there is little that can be done in the emergency department.

Emerg Eye

Meet Our Doctors

When Should I Schedule An Appointment?

One of the questions our eye doctors receive all the time in our Stamford practice is:

"I have an eye infection or something stuck in my eye, should I come in for an appointment?" 

The first rule of eye emergencies is giving us a call! We will be happy to give you the proper guidance. Below are some general rules to help you determine if you are better to wait it out, if you should come for an eye exam, or if you should go to the emergency room. 

When Should I Visit An Eye Doctor Right Away?

If you have experienced any sudden vision loss this could be a warning sign of more severe vision issues that require immediate medical attention. 

Any type of trauma or intense pain to the eye requires medical assessment as it can lead to complications. Any trauma such as a baseball to the eye or a child scratching your eye requires immediate assessment by an eye doctor. 

Sudden sensitivity to light may be an indication of more severe eye disease and requires an appointment with an eye doctor. 

Chemical burns to the eye require immediate medical care. 

Any large object stuck in the eye such as glass or metal should be seen immediately. DO NOT REMOVE OR APPLY PRESSURE ON THE EYE.  

For any of the previous situations call our office right away or visit a local emergency room. 

When Should I Visit An Eye Doctor (non emergency)?

There are many eye emergencies that require scheduling an eye exam but can wait a few days. These include pink eye, extreme dry eye, extreme itchiness, and eye infections. 

In cases where something small is stuck in your eyes such as dust or dirt, you can try removing it gently and if that does not work schedule an exam. 

Prevention Should Be A Priority

Preventing an eye emergency is essential. Here are a few tips: 

  • Wear protective goggles when doing risky activity such as construction and gardening. 
  • Keep sharp objects away from children. 
  • Buy glasses for children with shatter proof lenses. 
  • Make sure to follow the directions of your eye doctor when wearing contact lenses. 
  • Eating healthy and taking vitamins for your eyes is a great way to prevent eye diseases such as macular degeneration and dry eyes. Diets rich in leafy greens such as spinach and kale and omega 3 such as fresh fish is important. 

Oculista Stamford CT

Oculista Danbury CT